Re: [FWDLK] 1957 Dodge models/kits

--- brian <xm2cars@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does anyone in the group know of any 1957 Dodge 2dr
> h/t kits or models (other than the 1/43 Western
> Models) available in either plastic or metal in
> 1/24 or 1/18?
>
> I have never even seen a '57 Dodge promo. I do
> believe that a '58 promo was made.

AFAIK there was no '57 Dodge 1/25 plastic promo,
unlike the other Chrysler makes. No idea why that
was... ...actually, I do have an idea but am not sure
how valid it is.

In '55-'56, Jo-Han did Plymouth and DeSoto 1/25
promos, plus numerous non-MoPars (at that time,
primarily Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles; Pontiac went to
AMT/SMP in '57, and I believe the first of the famous
Jo-Han Cadillacs was '58). AMT did 1/25 Dodge Custom
Royal Lancers in those years, a 2drHt in '55 and I
believe a 4drHt in '56 (Dave Homstad knows this one
for sure). AMT and Revell also did a joint venture of
'55-'56 cars in 1/32, two of which were '55 and '56
New Yorkers. I'm not aware of Imperial promos before
'58.

In '57, a Chrysler New Yorker 4drHt joined the DeSoto
Fireflite 4drHt and Plymouth Belvedere 2drHt in the
Jo-Han lineup. Not sure if Chrysler and AMT had a
falling out over that, if so it didn't keep AMT/SMP
from doing the '58 Imperial. The Dodge seems to have
been lost in the shuffle until '58, when Jo-Han
brought out a Custom Royal 2drHt.

In an aside going back to '56, I remember my
excitement some years back upon seeing a "1956 Dodge
Mayfair" promo advertised in Hemmings. I couldn't dial
the phone fast enough, having never seen a promo of a
Canadian car (and not counting the Meteor grilles
included in AMT's later '56 and '57 Fairlane kits)...
...imagine my disappointment upon hearing it was a
repro of a Jo-Han '56 Belvedere with the front clip of
an otherwise warped AMT '56 Custom Royal (as the
seller said, "it doesn't quite fit right...")

=====
Mike Sealey, San Francisco CA
'57 Plymouth Sport Suburban
'64 Chrysler 300-K 2dr Hardtop