Re: [FWDLK] Long-distance car buying:

I wouldn't ever ship one of my cars out of my sight
for receiving only half the money at that time... so I
wouldn't expect anyone else to do that unless half
the money was enough to cover their cost of the
vehicle. I that case I would feel ripped off.

I bought a Corvette in Florida that I inspected while
I was there. It was from a small specialty car dealer
in Ft Myers. They talked the talk, OK. I let them
arrange shipping. BIG mistake! Car didn't show up.
After much calling and letters, they shipped it. When
it got to Ohio, and I saw it, it was damaged.  I knew
it happened in transit. Driver of rig was awful and
didn't care about me at all. After all, I hadn't made
any contract with him.  I could receive it, or refuse
it and he would take it back to Florida and charge
me storage until i picked it up. Almost a fistfight right
then.  I received it, documenting the delivery by a
friend videotaping everything. The dealer finally
agreed to a price to repair it, and fix the brakes
like they had promised but had not done. Money
never showed up.  My lawyer contacted them to
find they declared backruptcy.  I am lucky I did
receive the car before they went under.

If you have real money involved, even after
inspecting the vehicle yourself, be very very very
cautious.  Arrange your own shipping. Try to be
there when loading and unloading.  Pray.

It was a big block 65 Coupe. I was so excited
I couldn't sleep for days before it arrived. Too bad.
Driver's window was down during shipping all
over northern US in rain... brakes were crap...
brake fluid from car above it had leaked down
the top, winshield, and left front fender... etc.
It only takes one bad experience to cool you
on it forever.

Tom
               southern Ohio 57 Coronet & stuff.

Calendars are still available.  Don't miss the chance to get yours now!
Details for ordering may be found at:
http://www.forwardlook.net/calendar2002/index.html