Re: [FWDLK] 57 Belvedere Hemi Commando?

In a message dated 6/7/02 6:33:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cmf392@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Speaking of Hemi powered 57 Plymouths, I've been waiting for someone to
mention that Tom Hoover (Chrysler engineer and probably a charter member of
trhe Ramchargers) dropped a 392 Hemi into a 57 Plymouth 2 door hardtop
somewhere around 1959.  Motor had two fours on a weird offset ram intake.
Air cleaner had a 300E decal.  Wonder what happened to this car?

I guess you missed my previous post about that car.  I knew Tom, he was a student engineer at that time and I was a test driver/mechanic in the carburetor lab.

He asked my boss and I to come out in the car with him in an attempt to make it more driveable.  We made it better to drive, but were treated to a sample of his driving and he scared the daylights out of me.  Wide open throttle runs up a small tree-lined street with cars parked along both sides.

He probably had to sell it because he wasn't able to clean the stains out of the upholstery!

Prior to the Plymouth he had a 1949 0r 50 Ford "sleeper", which was equipped with a Chrysler power plant.  He wanted it to look stock in the very worst way, and succeeded until he finally succumbed to the lure of a Roots Type Supercharger.  He had to cut a hole in the hood to make it fit!
Joe Savard
Lake Orion, MI