From: Forward Look Mopar Discussion List
[mailto:L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Philippe COURANT
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 5:43 AM
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] '57 starter problem (2)

Hi,
I don't think that the problem came from neutral safety switch:
the starter relay "clicks" so the primary wiring of the relay is
OK.
I try to bypass  the relay, by wiring (with a screwdriver) the
solenoid end and the + 12; in this case the starter must revolve
with or w/o ignition on. No motion of starter, no click on
solenoid but a spark when i shortwire the two prongs.
It seems that if something goes wrong in the starter, the
solenoid can't be activate. I don't have internal wiring of the
Chrysler (Autolite) solenoid but  i think it's the same than the
'58 Buick solenoid (i have it on FSM..):
two coils: the "pull in coil" and the "holding coil".
- The "pull in coil" is wired between "S" solenoid end (go to
solenoid contact on starter relay = + 12V) and terminal end of
starter motor.
- The "hold in " coil is wired between "S" solenoid end (same as
above) and ground.
When you start, the "pull in coil" is "grounded" through the
starter (brushes, collector, etc..).When this coil is energised,
the plunger moves and contacts the third end of the solenoid (+12
= big cable from battery) and the terminal end of starter so this
coil is de-energized (+ 12 on each coil ends) but now the "hold
in coil" has sufficient strenght to hold the plunger.

So if the "pull in coil" wiring is not completed to ground, the
solenoid couldn't be activated and ther's no motion of solenoid.

(.. 2 hours later ..): i've remove the starter from car and wire
it "on the ground"; no rev. When i put the + 12 to the terminal
end of starter (bypassing the solenoid), a spark but no motion ..
The starter is bad, perhaps the brushes doesn't contact. It was
the same thing two days ago; i removed the starter end plate,
cleaned the collector and brushes (which are OK but i don't know
the size of them) and the starter ran.. Perhaps the brushes
springs are weak ?

I'll put my spare starter and rebuilt the other.

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com