From: "Lou" <lou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 05, 2004 10:27 AM
Subject: Re: [FWDLK] Driveshaft balancing

> I've had to get the driveshaft balanced eventually on most of the
> vehicles I have owned.
> '73 Thunderbird, '85 Suburban, '88 Mustang, '96 Suburban, and now the
> '59 Dodge.
>
> The driveshaft shop does a balance and replaces the U-joints for $80-120
> depending on the application.   A worn, loose or SEIZED u-joint will
> make a helluva
> vibration.
>
> By the way, the shop could not balance the Dodge's Ball n Trunion set up
> because
> they don't have a way to mount it on their machine.   I splurged the
> extra $200 and had
> it converted to a a slip yoke/cross U-joint, the way someone else here
> on the list (or on
> the web board) had.   The only issue with it is that the flange is
> thicker than the original
> one, and the studs coming out of the the parking brake assembly are not
> as long as I'd like.
> The nuts go on, but not alllll the way.   A friend runs an industrial
> machine shop, and
> he said he could probably "face" (shave) the think down a bit.  Not
> sure if I want to
> do that though.
>
> Side note:  I have a new ball n trunion rebuild kit that I got from
> Atlas..new in the box.
> I think I paid $100+ for it, and never used it.  They told me they'd
> take it back, but I have
> never gotten around to sending it back.  Anyone need it?
>
> Regards,
> Lou
>

> cpollock@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >Sorry Neil, the reference was for Lou, who I think is the original
poster.  But, since you bring it up, have you ever found out what IS
responsible for your buzzing mirrors?  The 69 car used to get into a
harmonic vibration at about 125-130.  It would literally 'hum' along with a
whirrrr....whirrrr...whirrr...pulsing sound.  I used to think it sounded
like the warp core pulsing on Star Trek Next Generation (if anyone remembers
that show).  Then I got the driveshaft balanced.  Kinda missed the whir.  My
73 car is doing it now, and so I decided to keep it that way.  I kinda
wonder how many cars were built with improperly, or mis-balanced drive
shafts??