Re: [FWDLK] Types of primer

I've been told its almost futile to try it that way since you'll have to
re-sand and re-prime anyway due to dirt, nicks, bugs, etc.  There are
also the concepts of "chemical bonding and mechanical bonding...to get
certain paints to stick properly to certain pimers, there is a time
window of opportunity (chemical bonding).  When the primer has cured too
long, then you have to sand  re-primer before you paint.   The
recommendation I got was to use whichever primer you want, then paint
over it with a coat of the appropriate type of paint for
protection...even stuff in a rattle can. (color doesn't matter since you
just want to cover it).   I tried using epoxy primer and leaving
uncovered and I drove the car.  just a month or so later, the coating
and the panel underneath it was starting to deteriorate.

Dave & Tracy wrote:

What is the consensus on using a zinc primer on bare metal ? . I know that traditionally it should be etch primer filler primer, topcoat. However I need to paint some sheet steel on the new rear driverside quarter with out painting other coats etc. So I am looking for a type of primer that is over paintable at a latter date. could do with something that when dry is as hard as Iron, to give max protection over the winter..
Dave.