[FWDLK] Ignition Wiring & Firing Order '57 Dodge D500

[FWDLK] Ignition Wiring & Firing Order '57 Dodge D500

Hi All,

My second, recently obtained '57 Dodge D500 wasn't performing very well, so I thought a tune-up would help.
I started with the distributor and besides the fact that all the sprak plug wires on one side of the engine were completally loose (on all four cylinders!), I noticed the wiring is not as it is supposed to be. At least, not as far as I know.

The firing order is O.K. ( 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2), but the spark plug wiring on the distributor is rotated three positions counter clockwise.
To make clear what I mean, I'v attached a scan (hope that's OK) where you can see the 'normal' situation, it's the same as what you can find on these tune-up data cards from the era, like Esso's.
My wiring is actually rotated three positions counter clockwise: terminal 1 is where 5 should be.

Now, it could be that I got the wrong tune-up data. Wouldn't be so surprising, because the engine was running after all! Only a little 'rough', and recently hardly at all, but that's not a surprise either, with all the sprak plug wires hanging loose on one side. (Yes, the car was parked outside and yes, I've got neighbours..., but, noooo...).

I think it could be possible that the distributor was removed at one time, and put back on in a wrong way. Not aligned.

My questions:
    - is the ignition wiring correct?
    - if not, should I remove the distributor and put ik back on in the right way (aligned)?
    - if so, what's the procedure?

The double breaker distributor IBK-4301A is correct (for the engines up to engine number KD500-4430)

Looking forward to your reply!

Jim Hoekendijk
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
'57 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer D500 4dr