[FWDLK] Voltage Regulator

I just tried to install a NAPA voltage regulator and it dies not fit. The body is bigger at the top so it will not fit under the lip of the firewall. Has anyone else run into this on a 56 firedome? NAPA says this is the only one they have for this model.

The one I am removing is an Autolite VRX-6201A 12V Neg Ground . I have not found one.

Does anyone re-build voltage regulators? I wanted to get one close to the original but have not found one yet. If I could get it re-built I could solve the problem.

Thanks

Walter

56 DeSoto Firedome