[FWDLK] Final Show & Tell!

Well, Horrie's clock has rejoined the living.

Altho I sorta lucked out in finding  Classic Auto Electric, I am completely
satisfied with Joe's knowledge, communication and skills!

Good news. Your clock is running like a charm. Here is a photo of the points as cleaned and realigned.  I added the snubber capacitor that we talked about, and I did some cosmetic cleanup while the clock was still open

The armature is attached to the coil mechanism by two (small) rivets.  I ground the rivets to remove the armature, and then I could reposition it. I reaffixed the armature with a combination of rivet and epoxy. JB weld.

Actually, flux capacitor is a pretty good description of what the capacitor is doing.  When you turn off the coil (open the points) the electromagnet flux field around the coil collapses, inducing a large voltage across the points. The exact formula (for any engineers in the group) is E = L di/dt. (Remember your calculus?)  Anyway, what the capacitor does is give the inductive voltage an alternate path rather than arc across the points. It's not exactly the same, but it is similar to what the condenser across the points does in your ignition system.

The clock does adjust the advance/retard a little bit each time you set the time forward or back, with a 12-hour interval. I don't think it changes by as much as a minute per day with most clocks, but that may be right for yours.

By the way, you may know that I teach automotive electricity and electronics at the college here. Every year the first part of June, I teach a one-week full-time class for adults who are interested in maintaining their own classic cars. Among other things, I cover how to do basic repair work for gauges and clocks.  If anybody would like more information, let me know.

And let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.