[Chrysler300] Freeze Plugs - reply

Y'all:

With regards to freeze plugs - check the parts book!  from 1960 parts book -
group 18 (standard parts) - page 18-6

There are NO plugs that are 1/64 th larger than the standard sizes. All
freeze plugs sizes end in either 7/8, 3/4, 5/8, 9/16, 1/2, 7/16, 3/8, 5/16,
1/4,  3/16 or 1/8 .

I remember going through this some time back. If it isn't listed in the
parts book, Mopar didn't make it. It is very, very clear that the factory
did not provide expansion plugs in "odd", 1/64th larger or smaller, sizes.

Rich's popping plugs are no doubt due to improper installation.

Now - as per service manual (1960) : "if new core plugs are installed, coat
the edges of plug and core hole with a suitable sealer and drive plugs in
place with driver, Tool C-897 "

Good luck finding THAT tool !  I know - I tried... woulda loved to see what
it looked like.  For now, I just use an appropriate-sized socket.  Checking
factory-installed plugs, I did notice that a definite convex-type tool was
used to drive them in. The imprint was clearly visible.

4 days to the meet.

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY

Yahoo! Groups Links