Re: [Chrysler300] Big block mufflers

I was informed at the Sema show by one of the major after market muffler
mfg's, (including there's) that certain mufflers can not be put under the
cabin of a vehicle due to the drone. The cabin of David's Suburban goes all
the way to the rear.

I would consult the mfg., (not store or muffler shop) what would be the
correct muffler for your application.

Gary

At 10:05 PM 10/13/2004 -0500, David Coston wrote:

>I have a Suburban with a 454 big block and twin converters.  I installed
>18" Magnaflow mufflers and true duals all the way to the back.  That
>sounded great at low RPM around town but at 2500RPM (about 70mph on the
>interstate w/ 4:10 gears and O/D) the noise inside was a very annoying
>drone.  I then added a 14" Cherry Bomb glass pack to each pipe near the
>rear of the vehicle and it made a world of difference.  The Magnaflow
>mufflers are supposed to add 20 or so HP by reducing backpressure over
>stock mufflers and that seems to be the case.  I was concerned that the
>Cherry Bombs might also cut back on the power as well as the noise but I
>can't tell any difference in performance over the Magnaflows alone.  The
>Magnaflows have a lifetime warranty and the truck still sounds like a big
>block when driving around town but it is now quite tolerable on the
>highway, too.
>
>Hopefully, you can do the same to your big block Chrysler 300 and have
>similar results.
>
>David Coston
>Carmi, IL
>phone/fax: 618-382-2280