[Chrysler300] More info on Detail Clay

I have received several emails offline on detailing clay and questions
regarding its use.
A couple of points that I forgot to mention.
1.  When done with using it you must seal it securely so that it does not
dry out(a single piece can be used for quite some time, which is good as it
is not inexpensive.  However do not merely wrap in a Baggy and assume all is
well.  When you unwrap it, you will find that the plastic clings to the clay
and sometimes is impossible to separate.  I have found that just using a
small jar(perhaps spraying just a tad of you lubricant in it first) and
sealing it securely works perfectly.
2.  If you ever drop it on the floor or ground, just remember that it will
pick up on the dirt and sand particles and the next time you use it you will
have instant scratches on your paint.  It is best to discard it if dropped.
3.  Monitor it closely for its finally wearing out(picking up toooooo much
stuff over a period of time).  Discard it then, but again it can last a long
time.
4.  It is not meant to replace waxing.  It is meant to replace the labor
intensive cleaning of your paint with abrasive or aggressive cleaners.  Once
cleaned with the clay, then wax(probably will not even need a cleaner/wax,
but just wax or what ever final finish product that you use.  All waxes are
not wax) as normal. Now you have waxed on top of your paint, and not on top
of the junk on your paint. You will be stunned to find how when you throw a
dry towel on your hood, that it will merely slide off as if going down a ski
slope.
5.  The original detail clay patent is owned by someone(perhaps in Japan).
Many knockoff's had come along and all were sued for patent infringement.
Most of the stuff on the market now is a different material(synthetic clay)
which works well.  I have used both and find that they both work well, but
that perhaps the original is slightly better.
6.  Be sure to wear plastic or rubber gloves when using.  The stuff is
usually blue or green or some color and will stain your hands and get under
your fingernails.  Spray a little lubricant on your gloves so it does not
stick to them.

7.  So now your finish is perfect, you wash your car(incidentally in my
original email I misspelled wash twice as was and my spellchecker did not
catch this of course)and it does not feel smooth.  This is because of new
buildup of junk from the atmosphere.  Merely detail clay your car before
drying it off(use a little lubricant).  Detail Clay does not have much
effect on removing wax so it just "scrapes" off the junk and your wax is
still there.

>From  numerous other offline comments that I have received, it is apparent
that Mr. Shenk is quite well known within our club.  Thank you for your
support.

Roger Schaaf
300 B, Calif