[Chrysler300] Re: Exhaust System Noise -- Causes Determined

--- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, c300c@xxxx wrote:
> Hi Mike!
>
> Please share the solutions with the rest of us! Thanks!
>
> 300'ly, Gary Hagy in Hamburg, Pa (temporarily in Albuquerque, New
Mexico)

The causes of the exhaust systems noises I posted about yesterday
have been determined:

The metal-to-metal rattling appears to be the left exhaust pipe
hitting the torsion bar. Eileen's pipe is as it is, but there is
only about 1/16 - 3/32"" clearance between the pipe and the bar.
We're going to flatten the pipe a bit right in that area to increase
the clearance.

The "rubbing" sound was the shock on the right side rubbing on the
exhaust pipe - the nearly vertical front part of the loop over the
axle. Both sides of the axles had also contacted the top of the
loop -- he didn't realize he needed for the pipes to be bent so the
loop was almost to the body sheet metal. He's going to make new tail
pipes this coming week.

None of the pipes or mufflers appear anywhere near close enough to
the frame rails or body sheet metal to make contact, and there is no
indication any contact has occurred. Each exhaust assembly is rock
solid.

Incidentally, the motor mounts look to be in excellent, perfect
condition. Engine doesn't move noticeably when revved in gear with
the brakes on. Don't know if they were replaced when the car was
restored 26 years ago or not.

Mike

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used