Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Exhaust System Noise -- Causes Determined

i bought a set of mrs. brass's pipes and the remainder of the system from Mr. waldron in michigan. had the same identical problems. mrs brass;s pipes arent long enough and they are different lengths. i am going to have to have new tailpipes made locally because the set i have dont clear the rear axle and dont reach the back bumper.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Reed
  To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 7:58 AM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Re: Exhaust System Noise -- Causes Determined

  --- In Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, c300c@xxxx wrote:
  > Hi Mike!
  >
  > Please share the solutions with the rest of us! Thanks!
  >
  > 300'ly, Gary Hagy in Hamburg, Pa (temporarily in Albuquerque, New
  Mexico)

  The causes of the exhaust systems noises I posted about yesterday
  have been determined:

  The metal-to-metal rattling appears to be the left exhaust pipe
  hitting the torsion bar. Eileen's pipe is as it is, but there is
  only about 1/16 - 3/32"" clearance between the pipe and the bar.
  We're going to flatten the pipe a bit right in that area to increase
  the clearance.

  The "rubbing" sound was the shock on the right side rubbing on the
  exhaust pipe - the nearly vertical front part of the loop over the
  axle. Both sides of the axles had also contacted the top of the
  loop -- he didn't realize he needed for the pipes to be bent so the
  loop was almost to the body sheet metal. He's going to make new tail
  pipes this coming week.

  None of the pipes or mufflers appear anywhere near close enough to
  the frame rails or body sheet metal to make contact, and there is no
  indication any contact has occurred. Each exhaust assembly is rock
  solid.

  Incidentally, the motor mounts look to be in excellent, perfect
  condition. Engine doesn't move noticeably when revved in gear with
  the brakes on. Don't know if they were replaced when the car was
  restored 26 years ago or not.

  Mike

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used