Re: [Chrysler300] Pulsating amp meters

My generator equipped 300C does the same pulse thing. The amp gauge is OK most of the time but add the headlights or turn signals and it'll start swinging back and forth.

Generator quit and was rebuilt last year. Believe this started just before and now after the generator was rebuilt.

Jim Krausmann
Detroit

> Club members,
> 1. Recently there was a posting ref above subj. It was suggested an electronic
> voltage regulator would solve the problem.
> 2. Years ago in Old Cars Weekly there was an article about this problem, and
> cited grounding as likely problem. Subsequently I have run a separate ground
> from under the voltage regulator to the bulk head connection where the motor is
> grounded to the chassis. This plus electronic regulators have helped but not
> totally resolved the issue. As cited by previous postings, loading the system
> with lights, etc. exacerbates the issue.
> 3. I have wondered for some time if the problem may not be in the alternator
> itself. The alternator as I understand it uses three alternating currents
> superimposed to create what appears like a dc current. The diodes are key to
> this I believe, and rarely if ever are changed nor checked. No one I know knows
> how anyway.
> 4. I bring this up as my 68 New Yorker began its problem with pulsating amp
> meter when the alternator was replaced many years ago. I have driven this car
> since Oct of 67 and am intimately familiar with its idiosyncroses. Subsequently
> to the new pulsing (around 1981) I have tried replacing the regulator numerous
> times and installing the above mentioned ground wire to assure a good
> ground--with the only benefit from the electronic regulator.
> 5. Of my three old Chryslers ( 2 300-K's and the 68 New Yorker) only one does
> NOT pulse. It has an old regulator (Mopar) and at least an older looking
> alternator. Galen Wollbrink is an old Chrysler mechanic and collector and has
> many Chryslers of various vintage doing the same thing. He also hasn't
> succeeded in fixing the pulsing.
> 6. Are there any new ideas out there? Electronic regulators help, but the
> pulsing is there at night with headlights on. Sure is a neat effect with the
> lights pulsing up and down as well as the amp meter.
> Tim Tomlinson
> 2- 64 300-K's
> 1- 68 New Yorker

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx