Re: [Chrysler300] Pulsating amp meters

6.  Are there any new ideas out there?  Electronic regulators help, but the
pulsing is there at night with headlights on.  Sure is a neat effect with
the lights pulsing up and down as well as the amp meter.
Tim Tomlinson
2- 64 300-K's
1- 68 New Yorker

The factory manual for alternator equipped Chryslers should have a section
on checking voltage drop in the ignition circuit. This circuit is used as
the reference voltage source for the regulator and if not 'clean' will cause
all sorts of charging system problems. Pass through connectors at the
firewall when used need to be checked as part of the process. .

The solid state regulators I have installed as retrofit parts did smooth out
the regulated voltage. Bad rectifier diodes can be a problem also.

With the diodes isolated, they can be checked off the car with a meter
calibrated to check diodes. Our first check when at all possible is on the
vehicle with a volt meter set to the lowest AC range where  we are looking
for AC ripple across the battery which will never be zero but should be
below 30 millivolts and if above like say 100 mv there is a diode problem.
The alternator output wave form can also be checked with an oscilloscope.

Grounds should also be checked. Problems can be found with a volt meter set
on low volts DC. Checking should be from the battery (-) terminal to the
ground of each and every electrical piece on the car and should be real
close to zero (and even closer to zero with 6V cars) voltage drop.
Electrical noise on ground circuits is a big problem with computer
controlled cars but until way out of control should not be a problem with
Chrysler letter cars and require an oscilloscope to find.

Good luck.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used