Re: [Chrysler300] 61 300 heater Core

Russell and all:

My recollection of stop leak products is that they do seal small leaks
but also plug up heater cores, radiators and control valves.  The
radiator shops love it as it tends to triple their business.  There may
be better stuff now, but I doubt it.  There are very few easy fixes in
this world.  This isn't one of them.  Stop leak is only appropriate for
an emergency repair job when there are no better options with the
realization that permanent repairs and system flushing should be done ASAP.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300

We routinely use Bar's Leak Cooling System Supplement (J-120?) that does not
unintentionally plug things up. We use AC Delco Cooling System Seal Tabs in
4100, 4500 and 4900 engined Cadillacs as it is a must use block sealer item
specified by GM as otherwise the things will leak. I do not think that GM
would  spec something that would plug up their cooling system parts and that
has been our experience with the stuff for about 20 years now.

Will it stop a leaking heater core? Hmmmm - - -Well, my opinion is as stated
by Mr. Barber except if some additive is to be tried, what I have found to
not cause additional damage are the above products. Note that it will make
extended life Dex Cool turn a (harmless) brown color that can offend and
concern some folks.

AC Delco #10-108 (GM #12378255) seal tabs are:

Ginger
Almond shell
Turmeric - CAS #458-37-7
Sal soda

MSDS disclosure from Bar's Leak shows same contents.

I think you will find reference to such a home grown mixture of ginger root
and friends mentioned in such automotive manuals as Dyke's published back in
the '20s and that it will pop up in Ford 'T' literature also. It worked on
the Model 'T' and it works for us on modern stuff also. Definately nothing
high tech.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used