[Chrysler300] Ping

I remember back , away back when I was in aircraft school when we were
working on airplane engines ( Mostly Hemi's) we were given a basic class
on fuels.  I do remember we were working on a B-25 bomber that was
converted to a executive plane for Union Big Shots.  It used 110 octane
fuel.   We were taught that the reason they put tetra ethyl  lead in the
gas was to slow down the burning rate and make in smooth and
constant.    Regular fuel with low lead exploded in very uneven
explosions  Regular was actually more powerful than the higher octane
fuels.  Detonation  caused the piston to get kicked all over the
place.   During  WW11 , some of the Fighters and Bombers used water
injection for short bursts of power.  It did  almost the same thing  as
lead except it carried its own oxygen  which gave more power and also
cooled the cylinders at the same time.  It was very hard on the pistons
and cyl. heads.
 Now to mileage.  I worked at a foreign car dealer for several years in
the early 70's.  I had a customer who had kept fuel mileage of his car
on every tank for 72,000 miles.    He would use regular for awhile then
switch back to leaded.  He always got 1.5 to 1.6 more MPG with leaded
than when he used regular.  I found that very interesting.    Just some
thought food.  Gary Barker

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used