RE: [Chrysler300] Ping

[slow-burning rate]Rule of thumb 40-50 years ago--high-octane gas was slower
burning- therefore no detonation [pre-ignition] in hi-compression motors. I
remember my 69 dodge plain jane 318 had 9.2 comp. and run on regular gas.
They lowered compression and octane after that. My little bit
     Elmer Tuuri       in cold Canada

>From: Gary Barker <gbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: listserver 300 club <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Ping
>Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:48:32 -0800
>
>I remember back , away back when I was in aircraft school when we were
>working on airplane engines ( Mostly Hemi's) we were given a basic class
>on fuels.  I do remember we were working on a B-25 bomber that was
>converted to a executive plane for Union Big Shots.  It used 110 octane
>fuel.   We were taught that the reason they put tetra ethyl  lead in the
>gas was to slow down the burning rate and make in smooth and
>constant.    Regular fuel with low lead exploded in very uneven
>explosions  Regular was actually more powerful than the higher octane
>fuels.  Detonation  caused the piston to get kicked all over the
>place.   During  WW11 , some of the Fighters and Bombers used water
>injection for short bursts of power.  It did  almost the same thing  as
>lead except it carried its own oxygen  which gave more power and also
>cooled the cylinders at the same time.  It was very hard on the pistons
>and cyl. heads.
>  Now to mileage.  I worked at a foreign car dealer for several years in
>the early 70's.  I had a customer who had kept fuel mileage of his car
>on every tank for 72,000 miles.    He would use regular for awhile then
>switch back to leaded.  He always got 1.5 to 1.6 more MPG with leaded
>than when he used regular.  I found that very interesting.    Just some
>thought food.  Gary Barker

Yahoo! Groups Links