RE: [Chrysler300] Brakes? What Brakes

As with Tony, I alternate between the '63 Pace Car and a '92 Porsche 968.
While I am impressed with Andy's research, there is no way in heck that the
300 even approaches the Porsche in stopping and turning power - or go power,
for that matter. It could be that this is a function of the brake system
being 38 years old, or that the tires are now 'specialty antique' tires
instead of mainline road tires, etc. Whatever, it's a cruiser against a PT
boat, and, as I just love my 300 to pieces, I will continue to drive it with
a great deal of caution. Others may differ ... and that's OK!

For the curious, the 968 does 0 - 60 in 5.6 seconds, top speed 150+, 70 - 0
stop in 162 feet, 0.9 G cornering (Car & Driver test in 1992).

In terms of potential modifications, if I do any, the first would be to go
to a modern split circuit system. The idea that a single leak anywhere in
the system means NO BRAKES scares me silly. Then I might think about disc
brakes in front, but would want to do more research into how much
performance advantage I am likely to get from this. I have rebuilt the
brake system more times than I want to think about in the last 25 years, and
the stopping power of the car has never been better than the 'eventually'
category. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I could not come near that
1961 figure, and supposedly the '63 had better brakes than a '61 ... or so
Chrysler claimed at the time.

300ly,

Doug