Re: [Chrysler300] Brake Drums

Hi Gang
I will look into this brake issue. I was lucky my C project that sat for 25 years when I bought it. The drums must have just been replace after the trans dumped and never moved after that. My front drums cleaned up at .010" over.
I will look at other drums I have to analyze the lost art that John refers to. I also like Georges remarks to replace the studs. This would overcome the worn or rust pitted studs we often see. The challenge is getting correct size.
I have made many a tool to work on my old parts. As I have a machine shop in my business this is easy to do.
The tool required to cut the staked area around the stud and one to re stake would not be difficult to make. We also have a 25 ton hydraulic H frame press to easily push out studs and a 50 ton stamping press to re stake studs.
I also turn my own drums as I don't trust the under paid and under trained personnel,(for the most part) that don't realize the importance in the set up so the drum surface runs true to the spindle or axle shaft that they mount to. after turning I mounted mine to spindles and axle shafts,(no backing plates) to check for run out. An indicator showed that I was less than factory spec. of .005" at the outside edge of the drum surface.
If anybody is interested let me know.
Last but not least the hub cap masking project is almost complete,(yea right he has been saying that forever). The photos of application are on my web site and the detailed instructions are complete and will be on my site next week. During this time I have completed the masks for 61 Dodge that Larry J. needed. Those will be on there also.
A project that I thought would take a few weeks took a few months.
The big effort was all of the thought process and writing detailed instructions to make the masks as easy to install as possible.
When my site is 100% complete I will post on List Serve. After that any body with a different cap can send it to me as Larry did and we will do the reverse engineering to get the mask made. Of course your cap will be returned.
I am not familiar with all 300 caps but did see photo of a 63 and would be good candidate for mask set.
I will also be doing masks for any make or model that at least has the potential to sell a few.
Gary The Parts Doc