Engine Rebuild/Brake Booster

Hi all,

Slowly going about the business of eliminating reasons
for the "rough running" of my '66 300 (413) following
its recent engine rebuild.

Theory I'm testing currently is a vacume loss throught
the power brake booster--a possibility first suggested
by club members. As I've said, it would make sense, as
I pulled the booster while the engine was out in order
to paint the engine compartment.

My question is...if I want to test the running of the
engine without the booster in the system, can't I just
close off the vacume line into the booster with my
thumb? Wouldn't that effectively seal the system, and
then if a vacume loss in the booster was the problem,
the engine should begin to run properly?

As always, thanks for the help,
Jonathan