RE: [Chrysler300] New Yorker Salon

Hi list,

I will contribute what I remember of a 1964 NY Salon I owned for some years.
They came in two colors, gold/gold interior and white/blue interior. The
interior could be either brocade or leather and had two distinctive
features: wood applique on the brushed aluminum dash trim and on the door
trim, and a front seat center armrest with a locking storage compartment.

My belief is that there were no options on the car - it came with everything
Chrysler could think of standard, including Power seat, windows, antenna,
AM/FM radio with reverb (wooo wooo), A/C, Auto-Pilot, dimming rearview
mirror etc.

On the exterior, it was normal NY except for the painted pinstripe along the
waist a la J or K, and the chrome louvers were deleted in favor of a 'New
Yorker Salon" lettering scheme behind the front wheel arch. I believe the
'63 Salon had special badges on the wheel cover centers as well. Salons had
the canopy vinyl roof (always black) similar to the 'Silver 300' model.
There was no two door version - there were no 2 door New Yorkers of any type
offered in 1963 or 1964! I think someone might have seen a 'Silver 300' and
come to the wrong conclusion. Or somebody created one .. but the special
upholstery only came with the 4 door's solid bench seat. I once had a 1960
Imperial 'LeBaron' convertible, with all the correct badging, special wheel
covers and so on - only problem was that no such model was offered at the
time, so 'created' cars do happen.

Mine was white / blue leather and it was a superb car. I only hope it
survived and someone is pampering and restoring it today. I never saw
another white one before or since, and only two or three of the more common
gold ones.

Cheers,
Doug