Painting Procedures. '65 300 reply

Hi Ryan,

There are more than one ways to tackle the job... the bare body was
originally painted at the factory by itself, and only then attached to the
subframe. For most of us this is impractical.

If subframe is off the car, have it painted or powdercoated and then all
components reassembled. What I like to do then is install the engine and
trans on the subframe, hook up the radiator and a fuel line to a can, and
run the freshly painted and detailed drivetrain , thus making sure there are
no stupid leaks that will necesitate pulling it out again ( rear main,
etc. ) . It's just so much easier working that way.

While this is going on, I clean, prime and paint the firewall, and also the
inner fenders and engine cpt stuff.

Then I roll the subframe with drivetrain back under the car, reattach it,
bolt the nose together, align it, etc. and touch up the pre-painted bolts
that have been scuffed up during reassembly.

Also, door jambs, inside of doors, inside of trunk lid and inside of trunk
are done same way - cleaned, primed, painted, and reinstalled and aligned.
Make sure to OVERLAP some paint on the edges all around.

Then , all one has to do is carefully backtape all the openings ! get 2"
or wider tape, roll it over itself lengthwise, apply to the edges of the
doors and trunklid and hood that have already been painted, and SHUT the
doors, trunk and hood ! The backtaping provides a seal for primer and dust
. Applied carefully, it works great.

Once outer bodywork is completed, and body primed, backtape is removed, car
is washed and cleaned and prepped for painting, and backtape once again
reapplied.
Outer body is then painted, wet sanded, buffed out, and backtape removed.
Now some careful wet sanding to remove the "edge" where backtaping was.

This is NOT the correct, concours-type restoration, way to do a car, but it
sure makes sense when restoring a nice driver to #2 condition.

John