Wiper Magic!!!

Hi All,
We all know that at highway speeds with no Rain-X our wipers function
poorly in
moderate to heavy rain. Things get much worse with heavy gusty winds
along with the
spray and turbulence from other cars and large trucks. I made some wiper
modifications
on my newly restored 58. I purposely did NOT apply Rain-X and had my
first chance to
test things on the return trip from our FABULOUS R.I. meet. We ran
several hundred
miles cruising at 75 + mph in horrible weather. The modifications worked
so well I kept
hoping for even more rain, more wind and more trucks! Yes, I?m serious!
To adjust the wiper arms on the pivot splines so they ?park? tight to
the lower
moulding does help. At higher speeds, wind pressure still stretches
things so the blades
get thrown over and past the compound corners of the windshield. They
lose glass
contact, jump and become ineffective. This happens even when all parts
are new or in
excellent condition.
The pivot cranks measure 2.5? centre to centre. I sawed both crank
arms, added
material and rewelded them to increase this length. This extra length
reduces the wiper
arc travel to keep the blades somewhat farther away from the windshield
corners.
To do this job requires some careful measurements. I made notes of the
procedure
I used and will share this info. with anyone who wants to do this.
Please contact me
privately.

Greg Leggatt.