racer heaven

Hi to all,

It is with great sadness that I inform you of the death of Bob Grossman .
Perhaps some of you "old-timers" will remember Bob from his car-racing days.
Or from his specialty-car dealership in New York City in the 1960's, and,
more recently, in the Hamptons. Or for the many, many sketches and drawings
of automobiles that Bob loved to make, and give away to friends and
acquaintances. I have one such treasured drawing depicting various Chrysler
cars, hanging right above my computer as I type this message to you, which
Bob generously offered to me a very few years ago, knowing my love of Mopar
cars. Many such sketches adorn the walls of local garages where Bob was a
frequent visitor, and well-loved everywhere.

Bob Grossman will be remembered for his association with Briggs Cunningham
and Alfred Momo. He raced at LeMans in the early sixties, Ferraris and
then Jaguars with the Cunningham team. He was a local figure in the
Hamptons, and settled here in part to be close to his beloved Bridgehampton
race track ( which also exists no more ) . He was always active in our
hobby, as recently as last September when he and Bill Beutel started off the
Bridgehampton Road Rallye, in which John Doyle and I participated. ( see
picture at http://www.crossrams.com/brr2001/MVC-014S.JPG )

To read an interesting and amusing interview of Bob Grossman, relating his
LeMans experiences and association with Briggs Cunningham, please click on:
http://www.westnet.com/~mfrank/grossman.html

He will be missed.

John