Dropping the pan - reply

Hi Zak,

First off, what year 300 we talking about here ? Second, I seriously doubt
whether a significant oil leak could occur from the rear of the pan, and NOT
be the rear main. Of course anything IS possible, but sounds doubtful.

Before launching into repair, I would suggest cleaning off the affected area
of all oil residue carefully with a couple cans of brake cleaner . Then, go
to NAPA, buy a small jar of oil dye, and dump it in... run the engine a
little, just enough to get things to start leaking, and examine the area
with a UV light . The source of the leak should be quite apparent with the
dye in the oil. If it's the seal, there will be oil clearly visible ABOVE
the line where the oil pan meets the block.

John