From: hal kendall [mailto:hkendall@xxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 11:28 PM
To: jensen-cars@xxxx
Subject: RE: Plastic Cam Gears

Following this thread - the article, below, authored by Mike Lotwis, was
printed and reprinted in the WL collection.

Plastic Cam Gears
This article should have been written a long time ago, but with Interceptors
at least five years old now, and most having at least 50,000 miles or more,
it's more important than ever. All Interceptor 383 and 440 Chrysler engines
have plastic lined camshaft timing gears. Due to not only heat and mileage,
but also age regardless of mileage, these plastic teeth chip away and one
day the engine just doesn't start or stops while running, bending a few push
rods and valves. When enough plastic teeth have chipped away, the timing
chain just spins on the stripped gear, not allowing the camshaft to turn,
thus gross mis-timing.

As a couple of you club members have attested to me (one just one week
before it happened), every club member should immediately consider letting
your mechanic change the timing chain and plastic cam gear to an all metal
gear. Not only will this save some pride or towing bill someday, but more
important, a possible complete expensive engine rebuild.

An aftermarket TRW all metal cam timing gear is available under Part
#SS366T, the T indicating all iron metal gear. A TRW TC501 timing chain and
SS367 ironshaft gear should also be changed at the same time. These parts
are more than adequate for stock engines, but for you high performance
buffs, both Chrysler and TRW make double roller timing chains and all metal
gears.

As club member Dr. Gordon in Conn. will confirm, he was driving down the
highway one day a few months ago, when the engine just stopped. Further
examination showed that not only had the plastic timing gear shear its
teeth, but quite a few push rods and valves had been bent. This required
removing the heads and doing a valve job. Dr. Gordon's late 1974 brown
Interceptor III only had 35,000 miles on it.

So you see, it's not just mileage but age of the car.

GET THOSE PLASTIC CAM TIMING GEARS CHANGED NOW!