Re: [Chrysler300] Temp sending unit

Neal, I have never had a temp sensor fail on any of my vehicles so accessability has never been an issue for me. I've replaced countless water-pumps and thermostats over the years and there really isn't an easy way to move those to a more convenient place either. No matter what, something will always be in the way.

To entertain your question though, you could move the sensor to another area but it would then give you a different type of reading. The temperature is monitored at the water-neck (thermostat housing)where the water is exiting the engine and it is at it's hottest but it is also away from the heat source which is important for an accurate water temperature reading. If you took a reading from the water jackets around the cylinders you would find higher temperatures because of the block temperature. Conversely, if you took a reading from the radiator you would find lower temps.

The other problem is that of plumbing......you would need to find a deep well to tap into to install a temp sensor. Manifold temperature and block temperature can also be monitored separately from other areas but that is mainly done on marine engines. I know our cars seem like boats sometimes but I don't think you would ever really need to do that.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth! Have a great day 300 fans. Ryan