Water Temp Sensor Location

Hi all:

I have had temperature sensor location problems in the past on other makes of engines.  In particular, I remember having a small block F**D.  One day, I ruptured a lower radiator hose and lost the coolant from the block.  The location of the temperature sensor (which was located in the block) was such that when the coolant was gone, the sensor did not indicate any problem.  The sensor had not failed as when I fixed the hose and refilled the radiator, the temp sensor worked fine.  It seemed to require the circulation of water around it to indicate the proper temperature.  When the coolant was gone, the surrounding air in the block was not conductive enough to indicate the corresponding temperature.

I would be careful in relocating the temperature sensor.  If necessary, make sure that it is located somewhere that the coolant is constantly circulating around it.  Stay away from any place that might provide a void or pocket of air.

I have also never had one fail.  But things do wear out and if you have A/C, you really have to look hard to even see that sensor under the compressor.  When the compressor got replaced, I replaced the sensor while I could get to it.

I like the idea from Larry Jett about putting a digital readout in the ashtray.

That was probably my three cents worth.

John Mc Adams