Reproduction dome light lenses.

Message: 5
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:04:16 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From: "Rusty and Thelma Roe" <saxblowr@xxxx>
Subject: reproduction dome lenses

Does anyone know the quality of the 57-59 dome lenses sold on ebay by desotogeorge in Queensland Australia??? I need some for my 57-C and any suggestions will be appreciated.......thanks, Rusty in Oregon 57 300-C coupe

Hi Rusty and Thelma,
Dave here, in New Zealand. Firstly,I have not seen George's lenses, other than on e-Bay. We first corresponded some years back, though, as you may guess, DeSoto is his car, but George is a MoPar guy thru' and thru'.
It is great to see the repro lenses, and some metalwork too ( the gold V for the '57 Plymouth, for instance) that George is doing. Had I not got 2 decent dome light lenses in my car, plus a NOS pair of '60 Chrysler dome light lenses, #2080280, on the shelf in my shed, bought from a well known NOS MoPar supplier back in 1995 @ $17.50 each, I'd sure be looking hard at these repros. Looks like a pair of repro '57'-'60's is around $40. I look at everything Mopar and '60'ish on e-Bay, hardly ever see these NOS any more, sometimes, but rarely.
e-Bay is a minefield, at times. My best advice is to look at desotogeorge's feedback, as that more or less says he's a good guy with good stuff.
I know that George has been working on these repro projects for quite a while now, and anyone who has tried molding lenses/medallions, anything from modern 'so-called' plastics will tell you that it is no breeze.
As these are relatively new on the scene, I guess quality will be assessed by the passing of time.
My suggestion is to e-mail George and ask some questions. Check out the satisfied customers of his lenses, from complete '58 DeSoto tail light sets to his repro dome lights.In my opinion, ANYONE making good repro stuff for our cars should be supported. Our Club is right up the top there with anyone, as we all know, with all the splendid repro projects that they have undertaken over the 8/9 years I have been a keen member.There are not a lot on the ground, though.
Roll on '60 Chrysler tail light lenses !

Cheers all,
Dave.