Electric windows and Joys of Edison!!

Last year the white 300C conv suffered an electrical and engine melt
down returning from Carlisle. Got engine back to snuff, but left
electrics to "future" tinkering. Decided today to lower roof and
windows by by-passing system, so car could be used in parade tomorrow.
(Problem is only in feeder line for power acessories.) Disconnected
feed wire to roof switch; added jumper to positive: Viola! ...down
goes roof. Next, removed drivers dor panel, unplugged feed block to
window switch: Viola!...down go windows. Then, for the heck of it,
I tap jumper to positive switch lead---expecting a spark of short
like received at body feed end. NO! The right rear window goes UP!
I lower it again, walk to front of car, and tap body feed to starter
relay block....UP GOES RR window!! In full up position, tapping body
feed yoields one angry spark, that which lead me to believe malady
was a short! Under the dash is a mess of fried wires; my question is
could the problem have been the window switch "sticking", the circuit
over-loading enough to draw melting temperatures under dash and no
where else? The window was in full UP position when system went down.
OR: Could the window connection be RESULT of meltdown? Do the window
wires pass up THROUGH dash area loom? '57's don't have fuses; circuit
breaker on window might have just pulsed the current!!
L.A. Jugle, Elmhurst, IL