From: Andy Mikonis [mailto:r41hp@xxxx]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 8:05 AM
To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] More Oil Stuff...

I was always taught to go with the single grade oil,
too. I spent my formative car-owning years in Florida
and this was thought to be best in that hot climate.
But I read something interesting:

Patrick Bedard, in the November 1999 Car and Driver
quotes an Ed Kollin of Lubrication Sciences; he makes
custom blended oils, and Bedard asks him about the
best oil for an occasionally driven 'keeper car.'

He says oil has gradually evolved; the amount of the
primary anti-wear additive zinc dialkyl
dithiophosphate (ZDDP) has been reduced by 25% because
it is harful to catalysts. Also, he says gas
additives MTBE and ethanol dilute oil by 5 to 10% and
are very corrosive to the materials used in older
engines. He suggests corrosion is the worst enemy for
our cars - more so than wear at startup.

His "off-the-shelf" solution: "C" grade 15W-40 oil for
diesel engines. Why?
1. The "oil part" is the same, and 15W-40 is thicker.
2. 80% more ZDDP.
2. 30-50% more corrosion inhibitors and detergents:
these oils are designed to neutralize the sulfuric
acid produced by diesel fuel - this takes care of the
corrsion problem. He also says the higher detergents
will free up sticky rings "quickly."

He cautions "nitrogen compounds in the high dose of
dispersant may cause some seals to leak." Also, if a
non-detergent oil was used before, the detergents will
knock "chunks of sludge loose", possibly clogging
lifters.

Interesting stuff. I don't know anything about it.
Haven't tried it yet. Thought about it. Comments?

Andy

http://sbc.yahoo.com

For list server instructions, go to