"Thrust Bearing" on 1962 383 Sports 300 engine.

"Thrust Bearing" on 1962 383 Sports 300 engine.

The garageman who is rebuilding my 383 was putting everything back
together when he found he couldn't get what he thought to be the rear
main bearing to go into place. Of the bearings, all are alike except
one which has a chamfer or edge - this he assumed to be the rear main
and that it was designed to prevent back and forth thrusting of the
crankshaft. A friend who knows something of motor rebuilding told me
that the one with the chamfer or edge is in fact the rear main on
most Chevy engines but that on Chrysler it goes on the third or forth
bearing. This seems right as a regular bearing from the package
slides right on the rear main. These are all cut to -.020 to make up
with the crank which has been likewise cut.

The opinion of a few of you Chrysler Sages out there would be most
appreciated.

Thanks, Tom