Re: [Chrysler300] 500 ci

Dan and all RAM guys,

I have only practical experience with Ram cars but I have learned that
the factory ram spec. cam and functioning heat tubes are a must if your
goal is to have a Ram equipped vehicle that is driveable.

I patched together a setup for a 59 DeSoto that didn't work well. 440
with mag cam, ram tubes with no heat, carbs with manual chokes. I know
what most of you are thinking - What was I thinking about! Well it was a
disappointment because it took 15 minutes after starting to get enough
heat build up in the ram tubes to keep it running without constantly
pumping the gas pedal and if you attempted to drive it before the tubes
were warm it would buck and jump and backfire and stall! After it warmed
up it ran but was a disappointment because the cam wasn't correct for the
ram tubes!

A few years later I acquired a 60 Dart Phoenix with a 383 factory ram
setup. It was unmolested and the performance is impressive with good
drive ability.

Just recently I acquired a 61 Fury that the previous owner had attempted
to jerry rig a ram setup on. It ran just like my DeSoto so I started from
scratch. Built a 383 with 10:1 compression, ordered a stock ram cam from
the club store, installed a pair of 500 cfm Carters with electric chokes,
hooked up the heat tubes, installed a set of duals with noisy mufflers
and a 3.23 gear. We used the Petronix ignition system. The result is
outstanding, there is nothing that sounds quite like a RAM equipped car
under full throttle. It makes you think the hood is going to get sucked
right through the carbs! The car has enough torque that I installed a
2.76 shur grip and still have all the acceleration that I need and with
the loud pipes it doesn't roar quite so much at highway speeds. If I
could do anything different I would use the 2903S carbs but they are hard
to find in decent condition. So we settled for new Carters and jetted
them down a bit but they probably supply more cfm than needed.

I'm rounding up the RAM parts for a 61 Belvedere to be powered with a 30
over 440 with 6 pac internals, will use a stock ram cam and long tubes. I
have the engine and the exhaust manifolds. I could use a set of re
buildable 2903S carbs.

I guess the moral of this story is that the engineers at Chrysler knew
what they were doing!

Don Smallwood

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com