Chrysler paints...

I've been told by several different sources on several different
occasions that when the cars were originally built there was no "high-temp
engine paint" and that they were simply shot with regular enamel. I'm
wondering if anyone here has heard the same thing.

I do know that some auto restorers mix their own colors and shoot them
with a spray gun, not out of a can. My most recent experience in color
matching of engine colors has been on my 70 Charger. The off-the-shelf spray
cans of "hemi" orange never seemed to match any original surviving color
samples I had. Long story short... Totally Auto in Pennsylvania sells many
different colors which they mix themselves. They say that the same paint
that's available by the quart/pint is what they put in the spray cans and it
isnt any special high-heat resistant paint.

Their "hemi" orange , right out of the spray can is the best match
I've seen. Although I only put about 4000 miles on my car in the last 3 years
it hasn't peeled, flaked, or burned off. I think the longevity is more a
matter of proper surface prep than the type of paint being used.

I know they also do a lot of other MoPar colors but haven't tried
their green/torquise yet. They are near Philadelphia, maybe someone can stop
by and view a color sample. They are at 215-322-2277 and totallyautoinc.com

I also know someone who is has been putting MoPar INTERIOR colors,
custom mixed, into spray cans if anyone is interested.

Mike Laiserin