Re: [Chrysler300] Car does not want to start

Re: [Chrysler300] Car does not want to start

As per other posts, the 12v ignition system in a Chrysler does have a
ballast resistor. But, the thing will not keep a car from starting. The
symptom for a bad ballast resistor will be start but no run when key is
returned to run position.

In any case, would suggest checking voltage at coil positive terminal with
engine cranking. Voltage should be very close to battery voltage with engine
cranking. If it much lower there is voltage drop. This will be some where in
the wiring or connections or ignition switch. Ballast resistor is bypassed
at the ignition switch to provide battery voltage to coil at start only.
Voltage to coil is then dropped through ballast resistor when engine is
running.

It is Christmas so, as a gift to all, I will spare you the details of my
first encounter with this item which was very similar to the currently
described problem. Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ
(cold, snowy no. AZ)