Carter WCFB

I have a question regarding the Carter WCFB carbs. What is the exact
difference between the model numbers on the brass tags? Does it refer to
the jetting or is the whole carb completely different? If you are looking
for a specific carb can another one be changed or modified to the same specs
relatively easy. Carter lists hundreds of numbers for the WCFB and I find
it hard to believe that they are all different. Any information would be
helpful.

Thanks,

Hardy
C300