Re: [Chrysler300] Help

Phil and All,

This definitely seems to be a problem with your master cylinder. When the
wheel cylinders leak you can always see the problem, but when the master
fails you can't always tell.

Make sure you get the proper replacement for your master cylinder. When I got
my 62 the booster was out. In parts books at the Pep Boy or some such place
that the listing for master cylinders listed 60-66 as the same part. I went
to the junk yard and pulled a booster and a master cylinder out of a 63
Chrysler. After installing them in my car and bleeding the brakes I seemed to
have excessive pedal travel. The brakes worked great and the booster really
helped, but I didn't like the pedal travel, gave me the feeling of impending
failure. I must have bleed the brakes 10 times trying to bring that pedal up,
to no avail. Finally I think I just accepted it.

A few months ago I decided to rebuild my front end. I brought it to a local
shop that has experience with Chryslers. In fact there was a 69 300 in one of
the bays when I pulled up. I had decided to upgrade my brake from the 62
style to the 63-64 style. Before he started the work he called me and told me
that I would probably have to change my master cylinder. According to his
books the master cylinder on the 62 Chrysler had a bore of 1" and the 63-64
master cylinder had a bore of 15/16". Finally I had found my problem, a loss
of a 1/16" had caused my pedal to travel farther. Needless to say with the
new setup my brakes work great and the pedal travel is perfect.

Kind of a long drawn out story to say "make sure and get the right part and
by the way that part has a bore of 15/16"." I hope the info is useful to
someone. There is nothing more frustrating than doing something over and over
with no results. Never trust low end auto part store catalogs.

Sean Duggan
Los Angeles