300G engine ID

Hi Ken,

>From the description, it sounds like the engine in your 300G was either
rebuilt at some time, or replaced with some other . I am saying this
because you state that there's black overspray on the trans (as there
should be when engine was painted while attached to trans) but yet engine
block is red. So atsome point, either engine was separated from trans,
rebuilt and resprayed red, or another engine was installed. You need to
look on the (horizontal) engine pad, located driver's side front of engine,
in front of valley pan, right where cylinder head meets block.... again,
this is in FRONT of the engine, and the pad is horizontal ! Hopefully the
car doesn't have a/c , as this pad is located RIGHT UNDER the a/c
compressor, which makes it very, very hard to read with a/c compressor in
place.

Please let us know your findings, as far as stampings on engine pad.

You will also want to take a pencil tracing of the VIN and data plates, and
send to Gil Cunningham with a request for decoding. Gil's address can be
found on the inside front cover of any Club News issue, under "microfilm
research" . This will help you determine what's original on that car and
what's not.

Sorry - can't help with a trunklid. I'm on the wrong ( read: rusty) side of
the country ! But that shouldn't be too hard to find, as it is the same on
other Chryslers from 1961.

Sincerely,
John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY