Expansion plug installation

->Is there a special tool needed to install the disc type freeze plugs in
>the 413 motors?

You must have missed a good thread on the subject that went through about
two weeks ago. Hopefully, we will not have to review freeze plug, expansion
plug, core plug terminology again.

The disc type plugs require no special tooling to install. The cavity in the
block must be cleaned as corrosion will not seal properly. Even when cleaned
up properly, a sealer is appropriate. There are many sealers available. An
expensive sealer that works many places very well is made by Permatex. I
personally seal these old technology items with old technology sealer;
Permatex no. 1, hard setting. Permatex, 'The Right Stuff' will do an
excellent job probably and we use it on everything for many reasons.

With the seat cleaned, the disc pushed in with the convex side out and
seated in sealant of your choice in the cavity, the disc must be set. In
this operation the convex surface is dimpled in with a round headed tool
like the round end of a ball peen hammer. And, as was mentioned in the
thread, hit the flat head end of the ball peen with a soft headed hammer not
another metal headed one. This will expand the disc so it won't come out.
Max bad cavity? Use JB Weld epoxy.

An additional note from one of those mechanics that likes to be called a
technician, the swivel headed tool referred to in another post is intended
to be used to install cup type plugs. IMHO to use it to install disc type
plugs should be unnecessary if the plug cavity is clean and the plug is the
right size. The swivel headed tool I have will put pressure toward the
center of a disc type plug and make installation more difficult at best.
Disc type plugs should press in with reasonable hand generated pressure or
very light tapping around the edges only.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ