Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Excellent response, Bill. Your recommendations conform very closely to the
specs on the 413 in my 300L (and may I also compliment you on your use of
real sentences, with capital letters too!).

A few comments I would add:

-Be careful with hood clearance with the Performer RPM intake. I used the
regular Performer intake for that reason (although I didn't check the
clearance on the RPM).
-With an auto transmission, I recommend a carb with vacuum secondaries. Then
you can just mash the pedal off the line without any bogging.
-I used a Holley "Street Avenger" 670 CFM on my 413. On a 440 a 750 CFM is
probably plenty big unless you are going with a really big cam which would
be a mistake for the street.
-Think about using one of the latest design cams such as Comp Cams Xtreme
Energy. They open & close the valves more quickly so you can use a shorter
duration cam & get bigger-cam flow.
-You can't get off-the-shelf headers to fit a C-body (at least not a '65).
Custom is expensive. I swapped my stock exhaust manifolds for those off a
440 6-pack which flow better. If you are using stock exhaust manifolds, a 2
1/2" exhaust is redundant since the stock manifolds are restrictive. In that
case I would use 2 1/4" pipes. Also the smaller pipes will reduce your
exhaust sound level.
-Get quiet mufflers. I first tried Flowmasters and they were way too loud!
With a breathed-on big block, big pipes and a C-body you can get a lot of
reverberation in the passenger compartment, especially when you lift off the
throttle.
-Install a 160 degree thermostat and make sure your cooling system is up to
snuff. This gives a little more room to advance the timing.
-I would keep the compression ratio around 9.5:1 with iron heads and a
medium size cam. Then you can still add some timing and run on pump premium
gas 92 octane. At 10:1 compression you'll probably have to back off on
timing and/or use octane boost additive.
-Install oil pressure and temperature gauges under the dash. Don't risk all
that money in the motor on idiot lights.

Steve Galezowski
1965 300L