Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

If I understand what is going on, he is asking whether to continue with his iron heads or wait and purchase the Edelbrock aluminum heads. IMHO, the Edelbrock heads would be a waste of time. It is true, they outflow everything except maybe the MOPAR stage VI heads and the INDY heads, right out of the box. The problem is that one generally needs to make other modifications to utilize that extra flow.

The cam profile must change, certainly a lot more lift, and probably a lot more duration. Most of the difference in flow comes in the higher valve lifts. This means the engine will then be making maximum H.P. and Torque at a considerably higher RPM. This is usually to the detriment of the lower "off the line" performance of the vehicle, unless the rear end ratio is changed, say to a 3.70:1 or a 3.90:1. Try cruising with those ratios, you would have 3000 RPM or better at highway speeds. Been there, it isn't fun and its tough on the car. Even after all that, if you tried to use this new found horsepower with the lower gear ratio from a stop, you would find that the rear suspension and rear tires needed modifying to put the horses on the ground. My '67 440 GTX is a much lighter car than my 300D, but with 4.10:1 gears, any time I floor it and it downshifts below 35-40 mph, it's smoke city from the street tires. This is with a basically stock engine.

The 300s are heavy brutes, they respond to low end torque and horsepower. A good RB engine matches this profile with its relatively high HP and Torque at lower RPMS. A good RB will probably beat any similarly prepared Hemi (392 or 426) for the first half of the quarter mile. That's an eighth mile. This is because all the horsepower and torque are available one or two thousand RPM lower. Later, when the Hemi (or any high RPM engine) begins to make their real horsepower, the story can change. Unless on a race track, you would probably never be flooring the gas pedal for that long, so play to the engine's strengths.

I have found (following the old Direct Connection Engine buildup instructions) that the big block heads respond to minor valve and bowl relieving, port matching (intake mainly). Get the Mopar Performance porting templates, if you don't have the confidence, get someone to use them to open the heads up a little. Use the Mopar purple cam shaft with the street hemi/440 magnum specifications and recommended valve springs, use around 10:1 compression and premium fuel. This cam will peak around 5300 -5400 RPM, but will still be making lots of power up to around 5800. Use a good high rise intake such as the Edelbrock Performer RPM with a 750-800 CFM carburetor, Have a knowledgeable person jet and maximize the carb for your application. Recurve the distributor to bring the advance in a little earlier. Invest in a custom 2 1/2" exhaust system with mufflers that flow well. Either use headers or find the HP C body exhaust manifolds. Make sure you have the limited slip differential. I think you will end up with a nice comfortable 300 that will absolutely surprise many a "fast car" from 20 mph to whatever you care to push it to.

Sorry this post is so long, I just got to typing and couldn't stop. Hope my thoughts help you come to a good decision that will allow you to invest wisely and still retain the enjoyment of the car.

300ly,

Bill Huff