Fwd: Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Fwd: Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Hi again,

Just a couple of more thoughts on the subject to add to the good advice from Steve. After looking inside my 300D, and my non-letter (gasp!) '70 300, I sort of thought that the C bodies probably have pretty good hood to carburetor clearance. When I used the Performer RPM in my GTX, clearance was a slight problem, to avoid rubbing the hood, I use a Summit low profile foam type air cleaner.

I can tell you that from installing the Performer RPM manifold and having the Holley 750 worked over by the Carb Shop, I was astounded at the seat of the pants increase in acceleration from those two changes alone. I agree, vacuum secondaries are a must. I wasn't sure car had ram manifolds or not, or if the gentleman had intended to stay with them if they did, but for performance on the street, I would certainly use vacuum secondaries and have the carburetor(s) worked over by a competent performance person.

The reason I didn't mention the Xtreme energy or the Hughs dual pattern cam is that I have read that valve-piston clearances can become a problem with OEM pistons as the lift approaches .500". The advantage of having the quicker opening and closing is to get more lift without increasing duration markedly. The purple cam hemi resto cam is in the .467 lift range, I believe.

Steve, I am interested in the fact that the B body manifolds fit the C body. I have the engine and tranny out of the '70, and since it originally was a 350 HP 400 cid engine, the manifolds were the crummy log type. I had some HP manifolds from a '68 B body, but finally got a HP C body driver side manifold for a premium price on eBay. Since the driver side manifold for the B body exits at the very rear of the manifold, where the C body exits from between cylinders 5 & 7, I didn't think the B manifold would fit. It is impossible to tell until the engine is ready to go back in. Were there any interference problems fitting them in?

I certainly agree about the mufflers, the thrill of that big roar following you around can diminish very quickly. However, I believe, based on some testing done in some of the Mopar mags that even with cast iron exhaust manifolds, the larger free flowing exhaust can yield real performance benefits. At the very least, I would ensure that the tailpipes were the same diameter as the exhaust pipes, which are probably 2 3/8". There are some mufflers that flow very well and are not that loud, I can't locate my reference on that right now. Also, making sure the tail pipe ends protrude well beyond the body can reduce the chance of reverberation and resonance. Turning the tips down also reduces reflected sound.

Dick Landy (of drag racing fame) writes a column in one of the Mopar mags, and I have seen several instances where he has recommended milling the heads to get approximately 10:1 compression on street engines when the cheaper pistons with lower compression heights were used for a rebuild. Admittedly, this is not for everyone, but for the performance minded. As you know, unless you cc the head and cylinder volumes, you really don't know what compression ratio you have, just guessing. My GTX still has the factory 10.5:1 pistons in it, and it runs great on pump gas, but I must add that the high gear ratio of 4.10:1 means the engine is seldom heavily loaded. With a large heavy car and a low gear ratio you may well be right in using a little less than 10:1.

Amen to using gauges and looking at them often.

Bill Huff

Excellent response, Bill. Your recommendations conform very closely to the
specs on the 413 in my 300L (and may I also compliment you on your use of
real sentences, with capital letters too!).

A few comments I would add:

-Be careful with hood clearance with the Performer RPM intake. I used the
regular Performer intake for that reason (although I didn't check the
clearance on the RPM).
-With an auto transmission, I recommend a carb with vacuum secondaries. Then
you can just mash the pedal off the line without any bogging.
-I used a Holley "Street Avenger" 670 CFM on my 413. On a 440 a 750 CFM is
probably plenty big unless you are going with a really big cam which would
be a mistake for the street.
-Think about using one of the latest design cams such as Comp Cams Xtreme
Energy. They open & close the valves more quickly so you can use a shorter
duration cam & get bigger-cam flow.
-You can't get off-the-shelf headers to fit a C-body (at least not a '65).
Custom is expensive. I swapped my stock exhaust manifolds for those off a
440 6-pack which flow better. If you are using stock exhaust manifolds, a 2
1/2" exhaust is redundant since the stock manifolds are restrictive. In that
case I would use 2 1/4" pipes. Also the smaller pipes will reduce your
exhaust sound level.
-Get quiet mufflers. I first tried Flowmasters and they were way too loud!
With a breathed-on big block, big pipes and a C-body you can get a lot of
reverberation in the passenger compartment, especially when you lift off the
throttle.
-Install a 160 degree thermostat and make sure your cooling system is up to
snuff. This gives a little more room to advance the timing.
-I would keep the compression ratio around 9.5:1 with iron heads and a
medium size cam. Then you can still add some timing and run on pump premium
gas 92 octane. At 10:1 compression you'll probably have to back off on
timing and/or use octane boost additive.
-Install oil pressure and temperature gauges under the dash. Don't risk all
that money in the motor on idiot lights.

Steve Galezowski
1965 300L