Re: Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Re: Re: [Chrysler300] alum head or current heads- reasked

Bill:

On the cam, I used an Xtreme Energy 262/270 cam. It has .462/.470lift. So I
didn't have any piston to valve clearance problems. I chose a fairly small
cam for all the reasons you stated. And another thing too is that if I'd
gone bigger, then I would have had to started thinking about a high stall
converter, gears (I have 3.23 posi) and then you get into transmission
coolers etc...

When we built up the motor, we were not sure if the 6-pack manifolds would
fit because of the rear exit. When the motor was installed there was
interference at the firewall on the drivers side, but really minor, just
against the firewall seam. So we simply banged the seam in with a hammer,
I'd say less than 1/4" in, along maybe 3" horizontally. The paint didn't
even come off.

On compression, it of course depends a lot on cam size, weight, gears and
spark timing. I have a 66 Vette with aluminium Performer RPM heads and 10.25
compression. It has a 264/268 Xtreme Energy roller cam and fairly aggressive
timing. 92 octane just doesn't cut it so I add octane boost. I could cut
back on the timing and maybe 92 octane would be OK but, hey, its a vette and
I want power. But the 300L is more of a cruiser, and I didn't want to be
schlepping octane boost around with it too. Plus I kept the iron heads and
it's a heavier car. And I had about the same size cam and gears in both
cars. So I backed off to 9.5 compression and it runs great on 92.

I can't comment too much on your GTX other than to say that from what I have
heard, OEM compression specs were often as much 1/2 point higher than what
actually came out of the factory. As you said the only way to know for sure
is to cc the heads....

Steve Galezowski
300L