Rear axel hubs C300

It's time to replace the rear seals. So I rent the largest puller I can,
hook it up and try to remove the rear hubs from their tapers. I try heat,
cold, pull, grunt, swear and incantations. It doesn't budge. Plan B:
Before I do something stupid, can I remove the whole shebang by taking off
the 5 nuts that hold the brake backing plate? The manual is not clear on
the way this assembly works. If I can do that, then I can take it to a shop
and have it popped off in a press. Help!

Frank in still rainy Eugene.