Re: [Chrysler300] NEW 300C from Chrysler!

Re: [Chrysler300] NEW 300C from Chrysler!

Tom,

I think your analysis is spot on. It amazes me to think about how our Letter Cars could have been produced in the limited numbers that they were, and the company still be able to make money. While I can't say that I prefer the current 300 C Hemi car to the design of a couple of years ago, a 4 door version will probably sell better. The same decision was made when the 300M came out and it has been very successful. I believe Chrysler sold more 300Ms in the first 10 months of production than all 10 years of Letter Cars combined.

As far as Daimler Benz's influence on Chrysler (not to be confused with the British Daimler company), I do have some mixed feelings. I do not like the way the merger was structured, and I think Chrysler management allowed DB to "take over". Having said that, It appears to me that if there is going to be a "takeover" or "merger", call it what you will, I'm glad that it was Daimler Benz that did it. I have been a fan of Mercedes Benz automobiles for many years and the company brings with it a rich history of style and engineering excellence, they are the oldest car manufacturer in the world.

Engineering has always been tops on the list at DB as well as Chrysler. They make a good team in that regard. Obviously Daimler Chrysler recognizes the importance of the Chrysler heritage as referenced by the number of projects the company sponsors pertaining to Chrysler heritage, the remanufacturing of parts ('57 1/4 panels) and the like. The Crossfire is a good example of the fusion between the two companies as well.

I guess to summarize, I would say that it is a global economy, and Chrysler is now more a part of that business than they were before in that the Chrysler name is assured of living on, not just in the US but in Europe as well. Unlike Rambler, Studebaker, Packard, Hudson, etc.

Bob J

Chrysler fan from my teenage years, 300G owner from January 1978.