Re: [Chrysler300] Wheel bearing

Hi All;
Just a tid-bit. These type bearings are about the only thing in the
automotive world that is standardized. As far as I know, when a car or
whatever is designed, the bearing industry supplies the dimensions. The
vehicle is then designed around the available bearing. If for somew reason
it has to be something new, the bearing industry designs it. This is why you
can go to any auto parts store and with bearings in hand get a replacement,
usually off the shelf. Even if it's a 1921 Ford....

This also goes for any roller or ball type bearing, the shaft bearings in my
mower deck come from the auto parts store, off the shelf for $6 ea (I have
no idea what they fit) and not from Sears for $26 each. ANY bearing you
might need, check first with the auto store, and have the numbers of, or
each of the parts in hand.

Also, you may have trouble getting a bearing for a particular application,
but the inner and outer bearing races, and the bearing itself, if they are
all seperate, can be bought by number (on the part). This allows for
different size outer race holes and diffferent size shafts, all using the
same bearing. It used to be that they were a matched set, but the machining
is so good today, you can mix and match NEW bearings. And by useing
different halves, it is much easier to get a set off the shelf with fewer
parts in stock. In other words, don't order a part out of an old parts book
for your 1655 Whatsit, and have to wait when they may have the indivudual
pieces in stock.

See ya in MI, Ray Jones