RE: [Chrysler300] must rename new 300C !!

RE: [Chrysler300] must rename new 300C !!

While I personally find the 300C moniker inappropriate for a bluff-nosed sedan, the wider implications of honoring the achievements of the past by not replicating the name are interesting. Lesseee...

Current Chevrolet Impala vs. the much-honored '58 to '68 coupes and converts?
Current Cadillac Eldorado vs. the '50's version?
Current Pontiac Bonneville, or even worse, Grand Prix?
Current Thunderbird, with its mushy sedan platform, vs. the original Early Birds?
Current Lincoln Continental vs. the original 'Marks' or even the lovely '61 - '67 models?
Coming soon, a Pontiac GTO that's really an Australian Holden (but at least it goes ...).
Not to mention the spate of retromobiles like the Bugatti and Maybach (at least done in the right spirit).

Look at the good news! All of the hallowed Plymouth, DeSoto, Hudson, Imperial, and Nash nameplates appear safe from modern insults. So are New Yorker, Windsor, and Newport, it would seem. I suppose we could take it as a backhanded compliment that the two old nameplates DC thinks are worth capitalizing are the Town and Country (from woody to minivan) and the '300.'

So I would rather they called the new one the 300N (for Not) or something, but I suspect DC is looking at how GM and Ford are working their old nameplates and intends to do the same.

Doug Jones
Boulder Creek, CA, just over the hill from Jett Ranch