57C tie rod ends

Just got the C back from the body shop(after being rear ended in December) and was going through withdrawals, so I crawled under it and decided to check the torque on everything I could reach. When I got to the tie rod ends, I put the wrench on the nut (from the stud coming up through the steer knuckle) and turned. The whole stud turns making it impossible to torque the nut to 40 Lbs. Is that stud supposed to turn? Any suggestions on how to get the nut torqued and hold the stud from turning. Something is wrong, I just can not put my finger on it. The taper doesn't seem to be grabbing the stud and keeping it from turning. Help.

Zak